If you’re like many people, you have small spider veins on your legs. But can you get rid of them? Are you stuck with them forever? This guide explains.
What Are Spider Veins?
Spider veins are damaged veins that appear, typically on the legs, when the tiny valves inside them we can. Usually, veins are one way tracks; in a spider vein, the valves allow some blood to flow backward and accumulate in them. The extra blood in the vein puts pressure on its walls. When the pressure continues, the walls of the vein we can and can even bulge outward. When the veins don’t bulge outward, they’re typically called spider veins, and when they do bulge outward, they’re often referred to as varicose veins.
Sometimes people get these spider or varicose veins from sitting or standing too long period in other cases, people get them from aging or because they’re pregnant. Spider veins can even be caused by an injury, hormones or sunlight exposure.
Though these veins aren’t always dangerous, some varicose veins can be. In fact, they can put you at risk for blood clots or even open sores on your legs.
Related: Can lasers remove body hair?
What Can You Do About Spider Veins in Your Legs?
There are a few things you can do right now to help prevent new spider veins from appearing – and if you already have spider veins or varicose veins, your doctor may be able to treat them. The following sections explain your options.
5 Self-Care Tips to Prevent New Spider Veins From Appearing
Check out these five self-care tips you can put into practice today to help prevent more spider veins or varicose veins from appearing in your legs:
- Get plenty of exercise. Exercise improves blood flow, and it helps ensure that your veins operate the way they’re supposed to, which can keep them strong and in good shape so you don’t have to worry about blood backflow.
- Elevate your legs when you can. Putting your legs up relieves pressure on your veins and can help prevent new spider veins or varicose veins from appearing.
- Get up and walk around every half hour if you sit for long periods of time. In addition to being good for your heart and the rest of your body, moving your legs helps prevent these veins from appearing.
- Sit down every 30 minutes or so if you spend a lot of time on your feet. Being on your feet increases the load on your veins, and though being upright is good for your body, it’s only good in moderation.
- Make sure your hot baths are reasonably short. Soaking in hot water feels great, but if you stay in too long, your spider or varicose veins will appear more prominent.
If you already have spider veins or varicose veins, these self-care tips won’t fix them. However, they may help prevent new ones from popping up.
Laser Treatments for Spider Veins in Ann Arbor
Often, doctors use laser treatments to treat spider veins and small varicose veins. Larger varicose veins may need other types of treatment. Lasers are among the most effective – and least uncomfortable – treatments available for spider and varicose veins.
How Does Laser Treatment Work to Get Rid of Spider Veins?
when you have laser treatment to handle your spider veins, your doctor will point a laser directly at the veins. Small ones may disappear right after treatment, but larger ones and varicose veins typically darken for a while. In fact, you’ll probably see them for a few months before they finally disappear. Some people need three or more laser treatments to completely eradicate spider or varicose veins.
Here’s how it works:
- Your doctor will turn on and adjust the laser after evaluating your veins.
- Your doctor will pass the laser over the surface of your skin, which delivers laser light to the visible veins.
- The light passes through the layers of your skin.
- The visible veins absorb the laser’s light as heat.
- The heat disrupts the lining of the blood vessel, which causes it to constrict.
- In the following weeks, as the visible vein dies, your body naturally reabsorbs it. The abnormal veins are destroyed through this process.
Laser treatment is not a surgery, which means your doctor can carry it out in a treatment room. All of the processes take place inside your body.
Does Laser Vein Treatment Hurt?
Though you may feel a little bit of discomfort during a laser light treatment procedure, it’s not typically painful.
Ready to Talk About Spider Vein Treatment in Ann Arbor?
Our Ann Arbor med spa can help you get the look you want, from clear and youthful skin to fat reduction. Call or text us at 734-249-8722 or fill out the form below to get in touch.